I quite like the idea of settle-in-a-pot style cooking which require less time in preparing and cooking. One of the all-in-one-pot cook I usually do is Chicken Rice. I'm not sure what to call this style of cooking chicken rice, Chinese style or Cantonese style? Pls tell me in the end, if you know.
It is super very easy to prepare. It only takes around 20-30 minutes time preparing the ingredients and then put all in a rice cooker. When the rice cooked, it is all ready to be served. Let me share with you how to do it.
2 cups rice
2 chicken drumsticks
8 pieces whole mushroom small to medium size(soak, remove the tail and slice it)
5 pieces Garlic (chop fine)
3 Small Onions (chop fine)
Thumb size Ginger (smash it flat)
1 tblsp thick soya sauce
Preparing the chicken: -
- Cut the chicken into smaller pieces. If you want, can debone it or top up some chicken breast.
- Marinate the drumsticks for 30 min to 1 hour with salt, light soya sauce and pepper.
- Heat the wok with sesame oil (regular vege oil also can, use sesame oil more fragrant).
- Pour in garlic, small onions and ginger. Light stir fried it.
- Add in mushroom and chicken and continue stir fried it. Preferable can add in granules or chicken stock powder.
- Check: When the chicken meat* surface started to cook, add in thick soya sauce and mix well. *Do not need to fully cook the chicken.
- Lift up everything and put into rice cooker before the rice fully absorbs the water.
- Line the ingredients evenly on top of the rice.
In the rice cooker: -
- Wash the rice and put in 1 cm less of water than usual measurement (the chicken meat will release water when cooked).
- Put in the following ingredients and mix well,
- Less to half teaspoon of Margarine
- Less to half teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon thick soya sauce
- Can always press 'Start' to cook the rice before stir fried the chicken.